Monday, November 21, 2005

virgin on the ridiculous

.... because this is my first post - so be gentle. Virgin, of course meaning any of following (from dictionary.com):

  1. Of, relating to, or being a virgin; chaste.
  2. Being in a pure or natural state; unsullied: virgin snow.
  3. Unused, uncultivated, or unexplored: virgin territory.
  4. Existing in native or raw form; not processed or refined.
... although possibly I'm stretching a little in describing myself as chaste.

But not, I should say, virgin in the sense of the town of Virgin, Utah. Those crazy Utahrians ... of course, if the pace of Virgin, Utah is a little too sedate for you, I reckon you should move on over to Scaggsville, Maryland. For the singles scene, of course. There's a lesson in this, which I think boils down to: never put your photo on the internet where bloggers can find it.

This, being my first post, is less than serious, and less than on topic. The topic of this blog, assuming I don't get sidetracked and start blogging about how my job drives me nuts and my collegues are fools (it doesn't, and they aren't, but I've got to crack someday) ... as I was saying, the topic of this blog will be my general mediations or meditations on being good and doing the right thing; because it's the thing I read about most, that will probably start with discussing U.S. foreign policy, but hopefully we won't just get bogged down in Iraq. My purpose is to test my own ideas, so comments are definitely most welcome.

My first loves are reading books, watching movies and finding interesting stuff on the internet, and so I'll try to remember to recommend stuff as I go along. For books and DVDs forgive me if I link often to Amazon.com - I'm an afficianardo rather than a reviewer, but Amazon usually has a wealth of good comments so you can make informed decisions. Personally I buy most of my DVDs from DVD Pacific because they are cheap and reliable and quote their prices in New Zealand dollars. But rest assured none of these sites is giving me money - worse luck. Note to any corporations listening - I am open to bribery, preferably in the form of DVDs, but I'll take money and/or women too.


Book I'm re-reading:
The Amber Spyglass, 3rd book in Philip Pullman's series His Dark Materials.

Recommended DVD:
Young Sherlock Holmes, directed by Barry Levinson (to be frank probably his best work) and written by Chris Columbus - who most recently directed and made a decent fist of the first two Harry Potter movies, but who should be more famous for writing two of the best movies of my childhood: The Goonies and Gremlins.

Interesting Discussion:
Five questions non-Muslims would like answered

You always wanted to know, but were afraid to ask:
When the zombies take over, how long till the electricity fails?

Blog set to the following tunes:
Chocolate - Snow Patrol
lyric -
Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean
I didn't enjoy it at the time


ps I was joking about accepting bribes in the form of women. Everyone knows the exchange rate is terrible.

No comments: